From: Faye Gibbins <wibble@xxx.xxx.xxx>
To: Greg Lewin <greglewin@xxx.xxx.xxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:03:16 +0000
Subject: Re: [edlug] Feedback on a possible venue...

It is going to be impossible to find a venue that'll suit everybody. The SO seemed to have most of what we wanted but we have to accept that we can't get a room booked.

If we go anywhere else which doesn't explicitly prohibits smoking then EdLUG members/the public will make the atmosphere smoky.

This place at Pollock Halls seems nice, why can't a few of us turn up there on a Thursday and sample the atmosphere/food and report back to the group.

I could be free Thursday next week (15th), anyone care to join me?

If it sucks then the Auld House is just around the corner.

Greg Lewin wrote:

Alex Wasserman wrote:

The Junction on East Preston Street does food, although their menu has retreated a little recently, as well as all the associated drinks. So do the Scream pubs, Tron and Crags, both of which are used to large groups, especially the Crags. The Crags will provide free sandwiches to large groups if preorganised and comes with parking, although can be noisy and a little smokey, but not that bad,

All the assertions that "it's smoky but not too bad" are not very consoling to non-smokers (not this one anyway), considering there seem to be quite a lot of smokers in Edlug, who will light up on the spot given a chance. (Though I would guess they're still << than 50% in number.)

At the Holyrood meetings I often didn't go, or left early and with great relief: my perception was that those members who do smoke managed to make the place VERY smoky indeed.

There's a huge difference between "smoke free" and "not very smoky", especially when the latter is so subjective and so variable.

Perhaps there does need to be a place where the addicts can get their fix, but should this overrule the majority who would much prefer clean air given the choice? For me this comes above availability of food.

Greg.

-- Yours Faye

This time she's the lesser of two evils.

http://www.morpheux.org