From: Faye Gibbins <wibble@xxx.xxx.xxx>
To: Greg Lewin <greglewin@xxx.xxx.xxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:03:16 +0000
Subject: Re: [edlug] Feedback on a possible venue...

It is going to be impossible to find a venue that'll suit everybody. The
SO seemed to have most of what we wanted but we have to accept that we
can't get a room booked.

If we go anywhere else which doesn't explicitly prohibits smoking then
EdLUG members/the public will make the atmosphere smoky.

This place at Pollock Halls seems nice, why can't a few of us turn up
there on a Thursday and sample the atmosphere/food and report back to
the group.

I could be free Thursday next week (15th), anyone care to join me?

If it sucks then the Auld House is just around the corner.

Greg Lewin wrote:

> Alex Wasserman wrote:
>

>> The Junction on East Preston Street does food, although their menu has
>> retreated a little recently, as well as  all the associated drinks. So
>> do the Scream pubs, Tron and Crags, both of which are used to large
>> groups, especially the Crags. The Crags will provide free sandwiches
>> to large groups if preorganised and comes with parking, although can
>> be noisy and a little smokey, but not that bad,
>

> All the assertions that "it's smoky but not too bad" are not very
> consoling to non-smokers (not this one anyway), considering there seem
> to be quite a lot of smokers in Edlug, who will light up on the spot
> given a chance. (Though I would guess they're still << than 50% in number.)
>
> At the Holyrood meetings I often didn't go, or left early and with great
> relief: my perception was that those members who do smoke managed to
> make the place VERY smoky indeed.
>
> There's a huge difference between "smoke free" and "not very smoky",
> especially when the latter is so subjective and so variable.
>
> Perhaps there does need to be a place where the addicts can get their
> fix, but should this overrule the majority who would much prefer clean
> air given the choice? For me this comes above availability of food.
>

> Greg.
>

> -

Yours
Faye

This time she's the lesser of two evils.

http://www.morpheux.org