From: Shane Sturrock <ssturrock@xxx.xxx.xxx>
To: edlug@xxx.xxx.xxx
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 08:11:18 +0000
Subject: Re: [edlug] Anyone want to give an edlug technical talk on PVR/DVB?

I know this is not the hacker way but why not just buy a TiVo?  Plenty
of the old series one UK boxes available on Ebay at less than £200 and
for that you get a Linux box that can be hacked and upgraded (take the
40GB drive out and stick a couple of 120s in to get 240 hours of
recording time (can use bigger drives but I believe the extra space
won't be recognised) and add an ethernet card so you can get at the
video data for burning to CD/DVD) and you have a machine that has a
built in MPEG2 encoder with VBR, is very quiet, has a remote control,
drives a TV with either RGB or composite and does all the PVR stuff that
no other box does eg season passes and wishlists, plus the learning what
you like and dislike stuff.  All this from a box that has a 50Mhz (yes
50!) PPC processor.

This discussion comes up time and time again on Slashdot and it is
always the same, once you add up the cost of building something
comparable to a TiVo you are spending a lot of money, far more than
buying a TiVo and the lifetime subscription to the service would be -
£400 for the pair.  How much of a PC based PVR are you going to get for
that?  Or you can just spend £200 for the box and then pay £10 per
monthy for the subscription.  If you can't build your PC/PVR for less
than that then why bother?  It's not like you can't hack the TiVo so
even that excuse doesn't wash.

Still what do I know?

Oh, I've had a TiVo for over 3 years now and I wouldn't be without it!

Shane