Re: [edlug] Sound card woes

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 22:09, Colin Kupris wrote:
> hi
>
> I have recently compiled myself a 2.6.0 kernel which is working very nicely
> apart from one small thing which is an issue with the sound card. For ages i was
> trying to get the sound card to work with the ALSA drivers, the sound card btw
> is onboard and is based on the via82cxxx chipset, pretty bog standard i believe,
> anyway i couldnt get it to work using ALSA so i enabled OSS in the kernel and no
> it works. When trying to us the ALSA drivers i was getting and error message
> every time i booted along the lines of /dev/dsp cannot be found.
>
> The problem at the moment is that it will only play sound from on source at a
> time, for example if i want to play a game with sound fx and listen to music it
> will do one but not both at the same time. I m sure its a driver problem and
> most likely a OSS (a system which is now depreciated??) probelm. Does anybody
> have any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> ckupris

I installed 2.6 just over a week ago, and had soundcard driver problems
too. I have a Soundblaster 1024 Live. As a quick work-around I added the
following to my /etc/rc.local file:

  /sbin/modprobe emu10k1
  /sbin/modprobe snd_pcm
  /sbin/modprobe snd_pcm_oss
  /sbin/modprobe snd_mixer_oss

I know this isn't the proper way to do things, but I was in a rush, and
it's my home desktop PC so nobody cares anyway :-) I am now able to play
multimple simultaneous sounds, and can use /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer.

After getting sounds working, I discovered that to get CD-burning
working, I had to sue the kernel's new native ATAPI CD-burning drivers
rather than the ide-scsi module that 2.4 used. And the old version of
cdrecord needed updated to one that was able to recognise native ATAPI
cd burners too.

Other than these two things, the upgrade to 2.6 went smoothly, and has
resulted in a noticeably more responsive desktop.

Hope that helps.

--
Sandy Dunlop <sandy@xxx.xxx.xxx>