Re: [edlug] Sound card woes

Colin Kupris <C.Kupris@xxx.xxx.xxx> writes:

> hi
>
> I have recently compiled myself a 2.6.0 kernel which is working very
> nicely apart from one small thing which is an issue with the sound
> card. For ages i was trying to get the sound card to work with the ALSA
> drivers, the sound card btw is onboard and is based on the via82cxxx
> chipset, pretty bog standard i believe, anyway i couldnt get it to work
> using ALSA so i enabled OSS in the kernel and no it works. When trying
> to us the ALSA drivers i was getting and error message every time i
> booted along the lines of /dev/dsp cannot be found.

That sounds about right...

Run lsmod, see if there are modules along the lines of snd-something
loaded, if so, look for one matching your soundcard.  ALSA uses a
different way of accessing sound devices to OSS, so if you want a
/dev/dsp, you need to additionally load snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss.
As an example, these are the modules I have loaded:

snd-pcm-oss            39620   1 (autoclean)
snd-mixer-oss          13808   0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-ens1371            12716   1
snd-pcm                66912   0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-ens1371]
snd-page-alloc          6996   0 [snd-pcm]
snd-timer              16036   0 [snd-pcm]
snd-rawmidi            14688   0 [snd-ens1371]
snd-seq-device          4388   0 [snd-rawmidi]
snd-ac97-codec         43352   0 [snd-ens1371]
snd                    35940   0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-ens1371\
 snd-pcm snd-timer snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-ac97-codec]
soundcore               4388   6 [snd]

One caveat, I'm still on 2.4.23, but I believe ALSA is the same.

OK,
--
Andrew Aylett | www.aylett.co.uk | 1.79 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight...
andrew@xxx.xxx.xxx | answer==42 |  -- it's not just a good idea, it's the law!