[edlug] Am I being OTT?

I'm looking for honest opinion here.

I've been asked to provide feedback on a website that's being developed. It was knocked up in FrontPage.

I ran it through the W3 HTML validator and discovered it lacks a DTD. The W3 validator basically refused it (obviously).

I've always been told that a DTD is ESSENTIAL, but to most intents and purposes, most browsers don't seem to care. Am I right to raise it as a concern? My biggest issue is that it betrays a certain amount of sloppiness on the part of the author.

Any thoughts?