From: Ben Soares [mailto:Ben.Soares@xxx.xxx.xxx]
Sent: 29 January 2003 13:02
To: Alistair J Ross; edlug@xxx.xxx.xxx
Subject: Re: [edlug] GnomeMeeting 0.96 and Using my Digital Camera

wrt a Linux compatible webcam, I got a Creative WebCam 5 about a year ago
which uses philips chipset. (£35)

See http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/

I think basic'ly the camera works ok under the PWC module supplied with the
core linux kernel, but there's extra functionality (compression, higher
resolution) that can be accessed with with the PWCX module (see above
web-site) which is binary only (because of a non-disclosure agreement).

Oh, I just read from the News (24/1/03) on that page that the latest versions
of Creative WebCam 5 are a different chipset which don't work with these
modules.  That'll be fun then!

Ben

On Wed, 29 January, 2003 12:45, Alistair J Ross wrote:
> Fellow slashdotters will also be aware today that GnomeMeeting 0.96 was
> released today. This is good news for Linux because we can now initiate
> Pc 2 Phone calls from the penguin. At long last.
>
> I would like to experiment with  this technology and see what the
> possibilities are.
>
> I dont have a webcam but i do have a FujiFilm Finepix 2200 USB which
> works just dandy to take pics etc under Linux. You access the camera
> like you would access a flash file system (ie under /dev/sda1). The
> camera also takes 20 second silent avis from the cameras control.
>
> I know that there are camera tinkerers on the list, does anyone out
> there know of a way to make the camera work like a webcam and
> continually take a movie? I would terefore only have to plug my camera
> in and then I can get going with this whole VoIP thing. Cool. Otherwise,
> I will have to shell out for a webcam. Anyone know good ones for
> compatability under Linux and also price is an important factor at the
> moment.
>
> Cheers peeps,
>
> 	Alistair Ross

Ben Soares                              	   tel:	+44 (0)131-651 1238
EDINA, Edinburgh University Data Library	   fax:	+44 (0)131-650 3308
Main Library Building, George Square    	 email:	ben.soares@xxx.xxx.xxx
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ, Scotland, UK         	   www:	http://edina.ac.uk/

"Hmmm, that makes no sense to me...
 But then you are very small, perhaps you're right." -- Treebeard