Re: [edlug] Amstrad ALT-386SX 4MB memory & Linux

Shane Sturrock wrote:
The hard drive you have would be fine for slackware vintage 1995, you
might even be able to find one an archive of it somewhere but if not I
can burn you a copy of mine (no, I won't part with it!  Piece of history
that CD).

Shouldn't need to do that - why not use the ZipSlack distribution and get a modern OS? That's designed to fit on a 100MB Zip disk. I managed to fit it on a 386DX laptop with a 90MB drive a couple of years back - took Perl out.

I did that one by installing it onto a parallel port Zip drive as per normal, hacking bits out (you wouldn't need to do that) and copying it onto the hard drive. It's all covered in the FAQ.

http://www.slackware.com/zipslack/, UK mirror of the files at ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-8.1/zipslack/

Not quite as easy if you don't have a PPA Zip, of course. ZipSlack is available as floppy sized split zip files (see the "split" directory) so you could copy them into 28 floppies and then unzip them all onto the hard drive under DOS.

--
Angus G Rae                                  Computing Services
Science & Engineering Support Team      University of Edinburgh