Re: [edlug] Win2k and Redhat 8.0

On 2003.01.27 17:24 Henry Coles wrote:

A friend is currently attempting his first linux installation.

He's got redhat 8.0 onto his PC, and can happily dual boot into Win98
(using grub). He's having a few problems with Win 2k however. He gets
reports about a missing file.

(excuse the scethy details here I'm getting all of this 2nd hand)

I have mandrake living happily with Win 2k on my machine. I seem to
remember having similar problems that I sorted out through careful
partioning. It's a long long time since I did this however (I've been
using the same partitions for years).

Can any body provide a few pointers as to what my be going wrong?

Cheers

Henry

Henry,

A few rules to get NT like installs to live with Linux.

1. Windows must be on /dev/hda1
2. Don't install the Linux bootloader (Lilo or Grub) on the master boot record (MBA)
3. Do make a Linux boot floppy. You will need it to start Linux until you get the dual boot fixed
4. Follow the WindowsNT-Linux Dual Boot HOWTO.

There is a gotch that the HOWTO doesn't explain. In the steps where you peel the Linux boot record off the root partition. It *may* not actually be there. If /boot lives on / then all is well. If you have a real /boot partition, the bootsector will be there instead.

Now you use the Windows boot loader to start Lilo or Grub to boot Linux.
Having used Lilo like this for some time, I reccomend Grub because you don't need to keep moving the Linux boot record to windows every time you install a kernel and rerun Lilo.

Regards,

Roy Bamford