From: Andrew Veitch [mailto:andrew@xxx.xxx.xxx]
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2003 2:10 AM
To: Alistair J Ross; colin
Cc: edlug@xxx.xxx.xxx
Subject: Re: [edlug] any experience of xcalibre ISP, Livingston

> I believe that XCalibre are going multi-homed this week so
> should make things to your liking.

This is a bit off topic so this will be my last post to the list on this
subject.

I really don't think that it is such a bad idea for an ISP to have only
one
upstream connection.

In fact my business, Logical Progression, has only one ISP in RedBus in
much
the same was as xcalibre. Our ISP is multi-homed and has 5 different
routes
out of RedBus.

I don't have Easynet's network map to hand but I'm fairly sure that they
will also have multiple routes out of RedBus. So for an ISP to choose to
have a single provider in a data centre that has diverse routes out of
the
building is not necessarily inferior to arranging multiple routes
themselves.