Re: [edlug] Good books?

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 04:01:51PM +0000, Edmund Strangely wrote:

> As folk will have noted from my posts, I'm still really just learning
> Linux, but I don't really know where to go now for more information
> other than asking questions here.

  I'd recommend a regular read of the various Unixy/Linuxy newsgroups,
 like comp.os.linux.setup, as a good thing to do, if you have time.

  Also it's worth checking out a projects homepage if you're having
 trouble with one piece of software in particular.  Some projects like
 Samba, Mozilla, Netsaint, etc, have very detailed guides and lots of
 information.

  As for online resources.. I've found the The Linux Gazzette
 (http://www.linuxgazzette.com/) a very good read, I usually find at
 least on interesting piece in it each month.  It's very much geared towards
 the simple explainations which makes it a handy thing for the beginner.

  I'm afraid I can't recommend any general Linux books, as most of them
 are either very specific, or like the one you already have very general.

  If there's a particular area you're interested in you might find the
 Linux Cookbook (http://www.dsl.org/cookbook/) handy - it contains a list
 of applications, and tips on doing different things, organized by task.

Steve
---
# Debian Security Audit Project
http://www.steve.org.uk/Debian/