Re: [edlug] DVD recorders

On 2003.01.20 20:53 Michael Eng wrote:

Hi

I'm looking to buy a DVD recorder -- after flicking through catalogues
and
web sites I guess DVD+RW is the variety which is likely to become the
popular choice.

Does anyone have any experiences positive or negative on the current crop
of DVD+RW drives?  I guess IDE is cheaper and there's probably no need to
buy SCSI for relatively slow access devices like these anymore?

Michael

Michael,

I got a Ricoh MP5125A for Christmas (£200 from PC World). It does DVD+RW, DVD+R, and all flavours of CD too.
You need a kernel patch to make it work with ide-scsi and you must rebuild your kernel for UDF writing.

There are also some user space tools that you will need.

I've set mine up ide-scsi, so that I can use it for ISO 9660 CD-writing too. If you only want UDF, you can use it as an IDE device.
(I jsut found out that X-CD-Roast no longer demands ide-scsi)

It does packet writing on CDs too but that a different incompatible kernel patch. At the moment I have two kernels and have to boot the 'right' one.

I haven't done a lot with it yet but it just seems to work.

Sony and HP use the Ricoh drive mechanism but according to reviews, come with a better software bundle. Its all windows of course.

Regards,