Re: [edlug] dos --> nix

Excellent question!
I was trying to copy using the format smb://server/directory just like the
shortcut on my desktop specifies. I realised my stupidity as soon as I saw
your message. One 'mount -t smbfs' command later and it was sorted.
Thanks!

Follow-up questions...

I was able to successfully use the command
	sudo mount -t smbfs  -o username=$USER,password=$PASSWD //server/dir /mnt/dir
at a console. However, (I assume) the parms weren't being translated when I
ported it to /etc/fstab because I got Access Denied errors. The errors
disappeared whenever I hardcoded my userid & password.

(An aside: the man page says $USER & $PASSWD parms are used as default, but my
experience didn't bear that out.)

Anyway, I tried using the credentials=filename option in /etc/fstab as
follows:
	//server/dir /mnt/dir smbfs credentials=~/.credentials,noauto,user

That didn't work:
	sudo mount /mnt/dir
	ERROR: Unable to open credentials file!
Although the following entry does work:
	//server/dir /mnt/dir smbfs credentials=home/myname/.credentials,noauto,user

So my first question is: how do I paramaterise the /etc/fstab entry so that I
don't have hardcoded userids or passwords floating around?

Also, whenever I tried to mount as me rather than root, I got the error:
	smbmnt must be installed suid root for direct user mounts (500,500)
I used the command 'chmod +s smbmnt'  is that the correct fix??

Next hurdle: I get the error:
	mount /mnt/dir
	cannot mount on /mnt/dir: Operation not permitted

Via google & IBM I got this:

	Problem: Smbmount results in the error "cannot mount on /path/mp: Operation
	not permitted".
	Solution: The user does not have authority to the mount point (/path/mp in
	this example).

However, I don't know how to implement this. Currently both /mnt and /mnt/dir
have the attributes drwxr-xr-x root root
So my second question is: what do I do next?

Much obliged!