Re: [edlug] How stable is Debian Sarge?

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 10:27:29AM +0000, Ian Stuart wrote:

> So, How stable is Sarge, for a semi-service machine (I do alot of
> scripting, and run several servers off the box, but it's not *required*
> to have a 99.9% uptime or anything.... :)

It should be fairly solid.  It's worth keeping an eye on mailing lists
like debian-devel debian-user or on the Debian IRC channels - if
anything goes seriously wrong then people will normally scream bloody
murder about it fairly quickly and you can always hold back on upgrades.
Similar things apply to unstable though you have to pay more attention
to things like the lists and be preapared to work around problems since
problems crop up more often and can on rare occasions be much more
serious.

One thing to watch out for is that testing doesn't get security updates
from the security team and due to prolonged breakage in glibc 2.3 (now
mostly resolved) updates to binaries haven't been propagating from
unstable for a while.