Re: [RE] [edlug] redhat8.0 on DELL Dimension 2350 - problems

`
On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:09:52 +0000 (GMT Standard Time) Ross Macintyre
<raz@xxx.xxx.xxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:42:36 +0000 (GMT) D Swan <s9901573@xxx.xxx.xxx>
> wrote:
>

> > You weren't really helping yourself by not tellng us what brand of Network chip
> > it is.
>
> Well I didn't know actually and since then all I have found out
> that it is broadband. 'lspci' says Broadcom Corporation: Unknown
> device
>
> >Anyway its a "AsusTek/Broadcom bcm 4401" as far as i can tell,
>
> how did you find this out? I have also discovered what was ordered and
> it says "Intergrated Intel 10/100 Ethernet" so..... I guess I should
> open the box.

yes you were right. I *did* download your bcm4400.o file and after
making a few changes it *seems* to work. When I boot it appears to
configure eth0 ok, but later on I get the message "NIC link is down".
saying that I just ran 'ifconfig eth0 up' and it seemed ok after that.
Looking at dmesg, it reports NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out.
I think it may have something to do with the switch it's connected to
and I'll look it more tomorrow.
I'd still appreciate it if yo ucould tell me where I get the source
from.

Ross

> > and this
> > does not have a module in RH 8.0 as shipped. No need to worry, you will find the
> > module you need compiled for redhat 8.0 at
>
> if it is a "AsusTek/Broadcom bcm 4401", where do you get the source
> from?
>
> Thanks for your help by the way.
>
> Ross
> >
> > http://www.racores.com/temp/bcm4400.o
> >
> >  Stick the module in the correct place and modprobe it. You may also need to put
> >
> > alias eth0 bcm4400
> >
> > in /etc/modules.conf
> >

> --
> Ross Macintyre