Re: [edlug] Modem error log

Hi,

On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 08:50, Paul Lewis wrote:

> My dsl modem is logging an error message "192.168.1.1 ETH8XX.3 late
> collision(s) occured. Network problem". These messages are logged quite
> frequently, there is only my modem and my server on this circuit with
> no hub - just a cross over cable. I thought ethernet was built
> specifically to handle network collisions

Well, the old thin/thick-wire ethernet was, but twisted pair is rather
different --- you never have multiple hosts on a single wire in that
case.

But on twisted pair, you still have to worry about whether the hosts at
each end are half-duplex or full-duplex (ie. can the host only be
sending or receiving at a time, or can it do both at once?)

If you have a full-duplex host talking to a half-duplex host, that might
well get logged as a collision.  Twisted-pair autonegotiation is
supposed to get this right, but if it fails, you might have a problem.
Try "ethtool" to set your ethernet to half-duplex and see if that helps.
(At dsl speeds, the loss of performance by going to half-duplex won't be
noticeable.)

Cheers,
 Stephen

so what is different about