[edlug] Modem error log

My dsl modem is logging an error message "192.168.1.1 ETH8XX.3 late collision(s) occured. Network problem". These messages are logged quite frequently, there is only my modem and my server on this circuit with no hub - just a cross over cable. I thought ethernet was built specifically to handle network collisions so what is different about these that they get flagged in the logs?

TIA