Re: [edlug] Compile-it-yersel And Performance (mostly Debian)

Steve Kemp wrote:
On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 02:39:02PM +0000, Gordon Guthrie wrote:
I'm building a Debian server. It's a dual processor P6, blah-blah. For *most* things I am quite happy to take the stock binaries (compiled for 386 (?) or 586 (probably/mostly).
For the bits that do the heavy lifting (Apache, Mysql, the kernel obviously) I intend to install the source, compile it into a deb (Debain for RPM) and install it from local (so far so good...)
  I'm not convinced that this would make an appreciable amount of difference,
 but good luck regardless!

One thought that springs to mind is if you are planning to recompile things so much, why not use a distribution like Gentoo which compiles everything from source during installation? That way you could be certain that everything, including all the little fiddly libraries, is optimised for your processor.

There are other source built distributions but off the top of my head I can't remember them!

--
Angus G Rae                                  Computing Services
Science & Engineering Support Team      University of Edinburgh