Re: [edlug] Nice to see some independent hard data!?

On Wednesday 08 January 2003  6:37 pm, Calum Nine wrote:
> [...]

Unfortunately, the priorities of many IT professionals are determined by
commercial reasoning (often the reasoning of non-IT people) rather than the
obvious considerations of quality, stability, or even real cost. Also, once
people are trained in one system, it may not be of obvious commercial benefit
to switch to a different OS or application set.

My relative _is_ a thinking person with a background in Unix, though not
Linux. However, one person cannot simply change policy for the whole
organisation.

As an individual in charge of my own computer use for work and domestic
purposes I have the luxury of using almost exclusively Free software. But for
most people who use computers, that luxury is not available.

Anand0