Re: [edlug] CD Writers

On 2003.01.08 11:48 H C Pumphrey wrote:

Hi All,

My PII-266 box at home soldiers on without trouble, apart from the CD
drive, which is becoming increasingly erratic. Given that I am also
filling the HDDs up with pictures from my digital camera, it seems to
sense to replace the dodgy CD-Rom reader with a CD-RW drive. The things
cost £50-80 at User2 and at my local PC shop in Dunbar -- not
exactly bank-breaking.

Before adding to my festive season credit-card hangover, I thought I'd
present company if they have encountered any problems or gotchas with
these things.  In particular, should I care that the box says "requires
333 MHz pentium or better"?

I intended to go for an internal ATAPI one to slot in exactly where the
duff drive is now [1] -- I believe the USB ones don't work in Linux. The
HOWTOs seem to imply that all the ATAPI ones work under Linux. I know
I'll need to sort out the SCSI-over-IDE modules. I already did that on a
laptop that came with a CD-RW and it was relatively painless.

Many thanks in advance.....

[1] I do have a SCSI card for my scanner  but I the shops don't seem to
    stock many SCSI CD-RW drives.

Dr. Hugh C. Pumphrey             | Tel. 0131-650-6026,Fax:0131-650-5780
Institute for Meteorology        | Replace 0131 with +44-131 if outside
The University of Edinburgh      | Email hcp@xxx.xxx.xxx
EDINBURGH EH9 3JZ, Scotland      | URL: http://www.met.ed.ac.uk/~hcp

I bought a new no name ATAPI OEM CD-RW for £25 a few weeks ago at Glenrothes computer fair.
It's not burn-proof and its not very fast but I don't need the speed.

With the prices of new slow CD-RWs like that there's no point in buying second hand.
If you do get a second hand one, make sure its not so old its not CD-R only.
Packet writing aka 'Direct CD' works on Linux but only on CD-RW.
That means you can have 'drag and drop' CD writing if you want.

Roy Bamford