[edlug] CD Writers

Hi All,

My PII-266 box at home soldiers on without trouble, apart from the CD
drive, which is becoming increasingly erratic. Given that I am also
filling the HDDs up with pictures from my digital camera, it seems to make
sense to replace the dodgy CD-Rom reader with a CD-RW drive. The things
cost £50-80 at User2 and at my local PC shop in Dunbar -- not
exactly bank-breaking.

Before adding to my festive season credit-card hangover, I thought I'd ask
present company if they have encountered any problems or gotchas with
these things.  In particular, should I care that the box says "requires
333 MHz pentium or better"?

I intended to go for an internal ATAPI one to slot in exactly where the
duff drive is now [1] -- I believe the USB ones don't work in Linux. The
HOWTOs seem to imply that all the ATAPI ones work under Linux. I know that
I'll need to sort out the SCSI-over-IDE modules. I already did that on a
laptop that came with a CD-RW and it was relatively painless.

Many thanks in advance.....

Hugh

[1] I do have a SCSI card for my scanner  but I the shops don't seem to
    stock many SCSI CD-RW drives.

============S=u=p=p=o=r=t===D=e=b=i=a=n===http://www.debian.org============
Dr. Hugh C. Pumphrey             | Tel. 0131-650-6026,Fax:0131-650-5780
Institute for Meteorology        | Replace 0131 with +44-131 if outside UK
The University of Edinburgh      | Email hcp@xxx.xxx.xxx
EDINBURGH EH9 3JZ, Scotland      | URL: http://www.met.ed.ac.uk/~hcp
============S=u=p=p=o=r=t==g=9=5==http://g95.sourceforge.net/==============