From: owner-edlug@xxx.xxx.xxx [mailto:owner-edlug@xxx.xxx.xxx]On
Behalf Of Robert (Rob) M. Schneider
Sent: 07 January 2003 20:48
To: james duncan
Cc: edlug@xxx.xxx.xxx
Subject: Re: [edlug] wireless cards

james duncan wrote:

>Hi
>i have a toshiba 1640cdt laptop with redhat 8
>i am looking to buy a wireless pcmcia card for aforementioned pc
>does anyone have any recommendations on which particular card to choose.
>the criteria are that it must not be the most expensive card on earth and
>that there must not be endless farting around to get the thing going, as i
>am quite new to linux (but not to computers or networking in general)
>
>any advice would be appreciated
>thanks
>james
>ps will probably be a linksys wireless cable router

James,

I purchased a Linksys Wireless PCMCIA WPC11 card for this laptop and got
it working in Red Hat 8.0 using the Red Hat GUI tools.  This was the
second card I bought.  First, I tried to save money and get a
less-expensive ZoomAir card and couldn't make it work.  All was not lost
as with the additional small cost of a PCI card, the combination of
ZoomAir PCMCII wireless in a ZoomAir PCI card worked fine for a Windows
XP desktop.

With regard to making the Linksys WPC11 card work, I wrote up my
experience on it and posted at
http://www.rmschneider.com/linux/WPC11_with_Red_Hat_8_0.html.  The trick
seems to be the manfid (manufacturing ID).  I found a reference on the
Internet which gave  a manfid which seems to work for my setup.  I don't
know if it's replicable.

Good luck.

rms