Re: [edlug] wireless cards

james duncan wrote:

Hi
i have a toshiba 1640cdt laptop with redhat 8
i am looking to buy a wireless pcmcia card for aforementioned pc
does anyone have any recommendations on which particular card to choose.
the criteria are that it must not be the most expensive card on earth and
that there must not be endless farting around to get the thing going, as i
am quite new to linux (but not to computers or networking in general)

any advice would be appreciated
thanks
james
ps will probably be a linksys wireless cable router

James,

I purchased a Linksys Wireless PCMCIA WPC11 card for this laptop and got it working in Red Hat 8.0 using the Red Hat GUI tools. This was the second card I bought. First, I tried to save money and get a less-expensive ZoomAir card and couldn't make it work. All was not lost as with the additional small cost of a PCI card, the combination of ZoomAir PCMCII wireless in a ZoomAir PCI card worked fine for a Windows XP desktop.

With regard to making the Linksys WPC11 card work, I wrote up my experience on it and posted at http://www.rmschneider.com/linux/WPC11_with_Red_Hat_8_0.html. The trick seems to be the manfid (manufacturing ID). I found a reference on the Internet which gave a manfid which seems to work for my setup. I don't know if it's replicable.

Good luck.

rms