Re: [edlug] Install day - backing up peoples files

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Sean Hammond wrote: <snip>

But getting back on topic, do we have a plan for backing up then recovering peoples Windows files during the install weekend, or are we expecting people to have backed up their files before coming along?

The problem is if they haven't properly backed up, i.e. they forgot about the vital two hundred files they stored in their c:\temp directory, they will blame you and Linux if it goes wrong, even if they have signed a disclaimer. Or they will just be quietly devastated and wish they had never started the whole thing.

I think that as newbies are included in the audience for this event,
we as more experienced people should try to protect them from their
newbie mistakes.

A couple of people asked about good starter books at the last
install day so perhaps it might be a bit of an idea to do some
simple research into this.

Fenn
--
I am Amnesia of Borg. Resistance is Futile. Prepare to be ... errr ... thingy ...