Re: [edlug] corrupt debian/apt on server

Thank you both, very much. It was simply a corrupt PERL installation, but I just wasn't sure how to go about installing it again. Seems I wasn't seeing the difference between 5.8.4-8 and 5.8.4-8sarge3!

I've just upgraded perl now.... seems to be a few teething problems, but I'll get back to you on this one once I do some RTFM'ing.

Cheers!

Ronald.

On 23/02/06, Justin B Rye <edlug@xxx.xxx.xxx> wrote:
Ronald MacDonald wrote:
> I've had this problem a while now - and have been on countless forums, trying
> to work out exactly what's wrong with my server.
>
> The problem all started when I did a large upgrade of a lot of packages at the
> same time. For some unknown reason, this seems to have corrupted my PERL
> installation, which means I can't do basic system admin anymore, such as
> upgrading packages, adding users etc.

Steve has already given you a good answer, but I thought I'd mention
that if you've got a corrupted (eg truncated) file, you can find it
with the help of the lists in /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.md5sums.

Oh, and at the moment the best place to find wgettable .deb files is
"http://pdo.debian.net/<PACKAGENAME>".

> eg, if I try doing an apt upgrade of apache2:
>
> debsrv:/# apt-get upgrade apache2

This isn't how you install the latest version of a package.  What
you've asked for is a general upgrade (which seems overdue if there
are 2005 security patches waiting to be installed).  What "latest
version" were you hoping for on a Debian Stable system if you aren't
keeping up with security patches?

[..snip...]
> W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://ftp-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk dists/
> proposed-updates/ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/
> ftp-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk_pub_linux_debian_dists_proposed-updates_Packages) -
> stat (2 No such file or directory)

You have some exotic addresses in your /etc/apt/sources.list.
Packages in the proposed-updates queue have _not_ been okayed as
safe to install!  See the note at the foot of the page:
"http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/linux/debian/dists/proposed-updates"
Once they're okayed, they'll go into the security.debian.org
repository (and then into stable at the next point-release).

If you want a known-good /etc/apt/sources.list, here's the bare
minimum for for a working system:

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stable main
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main
--