Re: [edlug] corrupt debian/apt on server

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 09:49:26AM +0000, Ronald MacDonald wrote:

>    I've had this problem a while now - and have been on countless forums,
>    trying to work out exactly what's wrong with my server.
>
>    The problem all started when I did a large upgrade of a lot of packages at
>    the same time. For some unknown reason, this seems to have corrupted my
>    PERL installation, which means I can't do basic system admin anymore, such
>    as upgrading packages, adding users etc.
>
>    eg, if I try doing an apt upgrade of apache2:
>
>    /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure: line 3: BEGIN: command not found

  This suggests that the `dpkg-preconfigure` program is broken.  That
 is a perl script and mine starts like this:

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
# This file was preprocessed, do not edit!

  If yours is missing the first line it would be treated as a shell
 script and that would explain the first problem you're seeing.

  If it has the correct first line then your assessment of a broken
 perl seems plausible.  Especially when combined with the later
 broken /usr/sbin/install-info output.

  My initial approach would be to use wget, or similar, to download
 a known-good perl package(s) then extract the package manually:

  That will fix your perl setup so that the dpkg/instalinfo commands
 will work.

Steve
--
# Debian System Administration