Re: [edlug] [OT] ADSL router recommendations

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 11:23:46PM +0000, Planet Fenn wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I will soon need a new wired ADSL router. Has anyone got any
> recommendations?

I work in the support department of a smaller ISP and deal with ADSL
faults on a daily basis.

*) Avoid Netgear and Draytek like the plague.

> Cisco SB101; is it good or pants?

I would say that these are no more reliable than Zxyels, maybe less so.

> How about Solwise Billion ADSL-7402R2?
> Or the Solwise SAR-600E ADSL?

Dunno.

I've found the best thing with the Zxyels is that they have a full
telnet interface that can be controlled by expect scripts. i.e. ping
hosts on the 'net, & reboot/reset the router, all from a cron job.

Also, they keep updating firmware for models that have been out of
production for 2/3 years.

My 2p.

Craig.