Re: [edlug] Talk at Edlug

Dominik

> who said functional programming
> languages are not useful for the real world ;-)

The wierd thing is that the functional paradigm is central to business usage
of computers it is merely that it has not been named.

Consider Direct Line Financial Services (where I was the IT Strategist). Come
out of the lift on the second floor and there was an atrium with staff around
3 sides.
* right hand side and half of straight ahead
  - IT department - procedural and OO programmers
* other half of straight ahead
  - MIS staff - SAS programmers (not IT department)
* left hand side
  - finance department Excell programmers (not IT department)

Then you realise that Excel is:
(a) the functional paradigm
(b) 25% of the programming activity in FTSE100 organisations

If we only changed our language we would all recognise the key role of
functional programming - it drove the PC into the business environment and
remains central to company organisation...

Now all we need to do it drive Java to extinction...

Gordon