[edlug] installing an older libstdc++ library

Hello all,

This is a fairly basic question for those in the know, so please bear with me.

I am running Ubuntu 5.10, and have used alien to convert a SuSE 8.2 package
to .deb, then installed it with dpkg -i . On attempting to run the software,
it complains that it cannot find libstdc++.so.5 . In
fact /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 exists, which is a link
to /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.5 . Is it reasonably staight forward to install
the package for libstdc++.so.5 alongside the existing library? Is it worth
creating /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 as a link to the current version 6 library?

Suggestions would be welcome before I begin any potentially dangerous
tinkering.

TIA,

Anand