[edlug] Planet & People Society Event - Call for Volunteers

[Call for volunteers for the P&P Society Event]
Hi folks,

Antonia came along to our meeting last week, and we sorted out some of the
details:

The event will take place on March 13th, 7:00pm in the ground floor auditorium
of the Edinburgh University Chaplaincy, 1 Bristo Square.

We will have 90-100 minutes to impress politically interested/active students
with the political/ethical and technical advantages of Free Software. My idea
was to split the event in three parts:

1.) Presentation about the politcal and ethical merits of Free Software, a la
Richard Stallman. (30-40 mins)
2.) Technical demo running Linux on a desktop/laptop, displaying common use
cases like doing email, www, openoffice, im etc. (30 mins)
3.) Questions and discussion (20-30 mins, depending on demand)

I would suggest splitting up the duties, as well. Therefore, we will need TWO
volunteers, one for the presentation and one for the technical demo.

For the presentation I would want someone who already has at least brief
experience advocating Free Software. I will contact the FSFE in order to get
some slides they might already have created...

For the second presentation someone who already has done similar demos would
be perfect, but anyone who feels up to do such a demo would be welcome.

Additionally, it might be a good idea if we could get some more edlug members
to attend the meeting, possibly taking their laptops and pdas along to show
off with and get the people into personal discussions....

About the target audience: For details about the P&P Society, see
http://pandp.eusa.ed.ac.uk/

Antonia provided helpful information about the society, as well. We cannot
expect every attendant to be a computer-geek, on the contrary. Many of them
will have experience using widespread non-free software on a (more or less)
daily basis, and that's it. However, these folks will be politically
interested and many of them will possibly have experience taking part in a
campaign or two. Arguing the politcal and ethical merits of Free Software
could have a big impact, indeed.

Any volunteers, please mail to the list. The same goes for anyone having
suggestions etc.

Cheers,
Dominik
--
Vergib Deinen Feinden, aber vergiß niemals ihre Namen.
		-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy