[edlug] Samba problem

I'm having trouble connecting a windows 2000 professional machine to a domain controlled by Samba.

I've created the smb.conf file below and added a password for root using smbpasswd -a root as well as create necessary directories with full permissions (while testing).

When I try to change the winbox over to use samba, it prompts me for a name and password of an account with permission to join the domain. I enter "root" and the password and it pops up an error box with "user name could not be found"

So far this is all I have done. What's missing/wrong?

[global]
netbios name = YYYY
workgroup = XXXX
passdb backend = tdbsam
os level = 33
preferred master = auto
domain master = yes
local master = yes

workgroup = TOXICOLOGY
passdb backend = tdbsam
os level = 33
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes
local master = yes
security = user
domain logons = yes
logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
logon drive = X:
logon home = \\%L\%U
logon script = logon.cmd
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /var/lib/nobody -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u
delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
add user to group script = /usr/sbin/groupmod -A %u %g
delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/groupmod -R %u %g

[netlogon]
path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
read only = yes
admin users = root